Since near the end of November 2007 I have been programming my 'pet'
project, wcnt. wcnt is a commandline not-real-time modular audio
synth, sequencer, and sampler for the GNU/Linux based
This is the second release building up to wcnt-1.26
Since wcnt-1.25.5, the program has undergone many important changes.
* libsndfile: the audio file IO lib from mega-nerd.com allows wcnt
to read and write *WAV* audio in other data formats besides 16bit
pcm. Consequently, all 16bit 'audio' inputs and outputs have been
removed. *** Make sure you have it installed *** :)
* LADSPA: a number of modules (9) have been created to use a select
few LADSPA plugins. These provide much better filters, reverb,
limiting, and compression. More might be added in future.
* orbit module: impliments three orbit fractals which iterate upon
a trigger, and the output of which is scaled (via an iteration
test) within the -1.0 to +1.0 range.
* adsr_scaler data object: allows indivdual sections of previously
defined adsr modules to be scaled on the time axis. it's quick
* improved command line option handling: help describing the command
line options. several new options such as --dont-run and --no-title.
module help now lists the modules sorted into three alphabetical
collumns to make life easier.
* many memory leaks plugged, and numerous operational bugs squashed.
* no more -ffast_math compiler optimizations causing dodgy calculations.
* removed sine_wave and tri_wave modules altogether.
* wave module: a new easy-to-use module for quickly generating sine,
triangle, and sawtooth waveforms and a number of variations of these
outputting in the 0.0 to +1.0 range (instead of -1.0 to +1.0).
* wave_phase module: comes close to the old sine_wave and triangle_wave
implimentations. seperate phase trigger and phase_step inputs, and
seperate phase_step input for a shaping waveform. improved algorithm
means it's more likely to do what it's meant to :). new parameter to
invert every other phase (or every other partial phase etc), combined
with shaping (ie multiplication of two waveforms) allows a greater
variety of waveforms to be created.
* dc_filter and rms modules: no longer do their calculations in such an
extremely deffective manner.
* deg_size type inputs and outputs renamed to the far more sensible
* constant_freq and constant_note: two new constant modules which
output translations of their parameter, so they're independant of
the sample rate unlike doing the same thing with the constant module.
* balance module: this is the modifier module renamed to show what it
actually does: balance two signals.
* modifier module: does something much more interesting than balance
two signals - ie combining two waveforms to create a third.
* many code changes and improvments.